Does Everyone Need an ETA to Visit Canada?

From deep lakes and vast forests to high mountains and glaciers, Canada is filled with breathtaking natural wonders that you should visit at least once in your lifetime. It is also home to cosmopolitan cities that are generally safe and friendly. You can use an ETA or an Electronic Travel Authorization for visa-exempt travel to Canada. But, check out this list for chances that you might not even need it to book that trip!


People Exempt from Applying for an ETA

If you belong to these said groups, you are exempt from visas and applying for travel authorizations:

  1. Citizens or dual-citizens of Canada
  2. Permanent residents of Canada
  3. The Queen of Canada and all the members of the Royal Family


Foreigners Who Can Be Exempt from Applying for an ETA

This is the current list of exemptions as provided by the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada or IRCC.

  • Visitors who plan to enter Canada by rail, sea or road.
  • Citizens of the United States of America
  • Citizens of France who reside in St. Pierre and Miquelon and will visit Canada from there.
  • Foreigners who are airplane passengers with their flight stopping in Canada for the purpose of refueling. They must have documentation that their destination is the United States, or the plane came from the said country.
  • Flight passengers whose journey met an emergency circumstance and suddenly made an unscheduled stop to Canada.
  • Bearers of a passport with diplomatic, consular or official acceptance approved by Canada’s Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade.
  • Diplomats, consular officers and representatives of countries belonging to the United Nations and other international organizations that Canada is affiliated with.
  • Foreigners who are crew members of air transportation and will be departing within 24 hours.
  • Active and official members of the Armed Forces of a foreign country whose visit is sanctioned and is following the Visiting Forces Act.
  • Accredited representatives and advisers to accidents related to aviation under the Canadian Transportation Accident Investigation and Safety Board Act.


Not Part of the List?

If you do not belong to the above mentioned groups, no worries, you can still go on your trip. You only need a valid passport, an email address, and your credit or debit card to get an ETA to Canada. Apply now and start planning that adventure!


You can contact here

Canada Eta
The Barns,
Stretton Rd,
Stretton, Appleton,
Warrington WA4 4NP,

Find us on map