Obtaining an Electronic Travel Authority or ETA is one of the requirements for most international visitors going to New Zealand. It will be necessary for visa waiver countries starting on October 1, 2019, and applications opened on July 1, 2019. Here’s what you need to learn with the roll-out.


Australian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Australia

Because of the strong relations of the two nations, Australian citizens who hold an Australian passport going to New Zealand will not need an ETA. It is different though for those who are permanent residents of Australia who are not a citizen, which means, hold another nation’s passport will need to get an ETA. It goes the same for those who are from visa-waiver countries like the UK, the United States, and Canada.

Most travelers that are applying for the New Zealand travel visa will need to pay for the Tourism Levy and International Visitor Conservation as part of the application. Australian permanent residents though, will not pay for these extra fees.


New Zealand ETA and Tourism Levy Fees

The fee for getting an ETA is at 9NZD if you complete it using a mobile app and 12NZD if you accomplish it online. It has a validity of two years or until the passport’s expiration. It will also grant you multiple entries to the country, whether it is for vacation or business.

The good thing with the ETA is that there is no need for you to re-apply every time you visit the country. For those passengers in international transport will still need to obtain an ETA even if they don’t cross the border of New Zealand.

You will also have to pay a separate amount of 35NZD for the Tourism Levy and the International Visitor Conservation, which you will need to add together with the ETA application fee giving you a total cost of 47NZD online and 44NZD thru the mobile app. There is no need to pay for these extra fees not until your next ETA application.


Why Is NZ Introducing the ETA and IVL

For those visitors who are not under New Zealand travel visa or those who are on visa-waiver agreements, ETA can help the immigration officers to screen the travelers for immigration and border risks.

In regards to the costly Tourism Levy and International Visitor Conservation, the government says that it will contribute to the infrastructures that they will use to protect and conserve the natural environment that they will love.

Written by 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *